You are requested and encouraged to (1) display your research poster all day Tuesday, April 5th, and (2) to participate in at least one of the two RBI poster sessions on Tuesday, April 5. And, though not required, you are cordially invited to present your poster at both the 11am and 5:30pm poster sessions
The Renewable Bioproducts Institute will conduct its annual executive conference, “Reimagining Bioproducts Industries: New Ideas—New Opportunities,” hosting industry, government and Georgia Tech guests on April 5-6, 2016. We request our PSE students to display their poster beginning Monday, April 4, and to be present at either or both of the two poster sessions at 11:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 5. The sessions are scheduled for 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (including lunch), and 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (followed by dinner). Students will have excellent opportunities to engage with industry participants. The event will be held in the Paper Tricentennial Building, 500 Tenth Street Northwest (at Hemphill). Please visit the RBI website for more about the conference, including the preliminary agenda.
We will organize the posters as our conference is organized, in three focus areas:
- New Opportunities in Biochemicals
- The Future of Biocomposites and Nanocellulose
- Operational Excellence in Advanced Pulping, Paper & Packaging
Please let us know as soon as possible, and no later than Friday, February 5, via e-mail to Lavon Harper (Lavon.Harper@rbi.gatech.edu), of your intent to participate and at which of the two sessions you will be present. We ask that you commit to at least one. Again, you are welcome and encouraged to be present at both. Provide the title of your poster and the focus area (above) in which it should be grouped. 150-word abstracts and your 75-word bio are due no later than Thursday, March 3. A catalog of abstracts will be prepared and circulated to invited guests so that they can arrive ready to discuss your projects. The Abstract Catalog from the 2015 RBI Executive Conference can be seen at:http://rbi1.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/2015%20Executive%20Conference%20-%20Poster%20Abstracts.pdf.
You will mount your posters on Monday, April 4, details to be announced. Posters will be displayed throughout the conference. You may retrieve your poster after dinner on Tuesday evening, April 5.
In the past, our member company representatives have considered the poster session a highlight of our conferences, and several useful collaborations between students and companies have resulted from the occasion. These poster sessions will reflect our expanded RBI and the continuing Paper Science & Engineering (PSE) program.
Please note that a number of students will make PowerPoint presentations as part of the conference program. If you are making one of these presentations, participation in the poster session is optional.
To summarize, please:
- Confirm your plans to present a poster and provide your title and category ASAP (no later than Friday, February 5). Please provide this information to Lavon Harper (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Submit your abstract (150 words) and a 75-word bio edited for publication for the program book no later than Thursday, March 3 to Lavon Harper (Lavon.Harper@rbi.gatech.edu).
- Deliver your poster and push-pin it to the display boards beginning at 10 a.m. and by 5:00 p.m. Monday April 4th. You will be instructed as to which part of the room you should put your poster. Location among the display boards in each section will be on a first-come basis. The poster session will be on the first floor (ground level) of the Paper Tricentennial Building.
- Present your poster on April 5 at 11:00 a.m. and/or at 5:30 p.m. Dress code is business casual or better.
- Indicate your intention to join us for lunch and/or dinner and whether you have any dietary restrictions (email Lavon Harper at email@example.com). If your plans change, let us know—we need an accurate count.
The audience will be made up of approximately 50 representatives from the chemical, fuel, materials and pulp & paper industries, and from national affiliated organizations and laboratories such as the USDA Forest Products Laboratory, the forest products industry’s Agenda 2020 Technology Alliance, ACS, USDoE, and others.
Abstract Guidelines: (due Thursday, March 3)
Abstracts should be no more than 150 words in length. They should explain the nature of the work and should lead with how your findings might be useful in terms of significance or potential application. The audience will be technically savvy. Please remember that not all individuals present will be experts in your particular field. Keep your explanation clear and simple. Protect intellectual property.
Poster Presentation Guidelines:
The poster may consist of images, illustrations, photographs supplemented by charts, descriptive material, technical information/factors, etc. Emphasis should be placed on originality of the content, technical excellence, educational value, and practical application.
- A few of you may be working on confidential or restricted projects. If this is the case, please focus on capabilities and public knowledge. The attendees are industry guests and are not bound by a confidentiality agreement.
- Construction of the poster must be suitable for display on the free-standing, fabric-covered display boards. Each board supports 4 posters (2 on each side). Push-pins will be provided to mount the posters. The total size of the poster must not exceed 36 inches x 42 inches. You may elect to use portrait or landscape orientation. No tabletop displays or other displays of any kind will be accepted without prior approval.
Poster Set-Up and Dismantling:
- Author(s) are responsible for bringing the poster to the poster session between 10 a.m. and 5:00pm on Monday, April 4.
- The poster session will be on the first floor of the RBI Paper Tricentenntial Building, 500 Tenth Street, NW, Atlanta.
- The poster sessions begin at 11:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 5.
- Please stand next to your poster for the period of 10:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (first poster session) and/or 5:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (second poster session).
- You may remove your poster at 9:00 p.m. on April 5. Any posters remaining on Wednesday, April 6 will be discarded.